California State Historical Landmarks in Tulare County
Properties of historical importance in California are currently designated as significant resources in three state registration programs: State Historical Landmarks, Points of Historical Interest, and the California Register of Historic Places. Below is a list of the State Historical Landmarks for Tulare County. This data is provided by the Office of Historic Preservation - California Department of Parks and Recreation and is also available in the California Historical Landmarks Book.
NO. 388 FIRST TULE RIVER INDIAN RESERVATION - A reservation was originally established in 1857, and Indians from a widespread area were brought here. The natives of the vicinity, the Koyeti tribe towards the west and the Yandanchi tribe toward the east, were branches of the Yokuts Indians that occupied the San Joaquin Valley. The Tule River Indian Reservation was moved to its present location, 10 miles to the southeast in 1873.
Location: Alta Vista School, 2293 E Crabtree Ave, Porterville NO. 410 CHARTER OAK OR ELECTION TREE - Under this tree on July 10, 1852, a party commanded by Major James D. Savage conducted the election by which Tulare County was organized. Woodville, site of Wood's cabin, and the first county seat, was located about one-half mile south of this marker. This general area, the delta of the Kaweah River, was also known as the 'Four Creeks County.'
Location: On Charter Oak Dr 0.3 mi W of Rd 180, 7 mi E of Visalia NO. 413 TAILHOLT - Tailholt began as a gold mining camp about 1856 during the Kern River gold rush, when gold was obtained from placer and shaft operations. Mining has been carried on intermittently since the time of discovery, with a considerable settlement here during active periods. The town's name was changed to White River about 1870.
Location: SW corner of County Hwy M109 (old Springville stage rte) and County Hwy MI2, 8.0 mi S of Fountain Springs NO. 471 BUTTERFIELD STAGE ROUTE - This route, following an earlier emigrant trail, was laid out in the 1850s as part of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road. It was used from 1858 to 1861 by the Butterfield Overland Mail stages to carry the first overland mail service on a regular schedule between St. Louis and San Francisco.
Location: SW corner of Hermosa St (Ave 228) and State Hwy 65, 1 mi W of Lindsay NO. 473 TULE RIVER STAGE STATION - Here Peter Goodhue operated an emigrant trail stopping place on the bank of the Tule River from 1854 until the river changed its course in 1862. This became a Butterfield Overland and mail stage station, 1858-61. It was kept in 1860 by R. Porter Putnam, who in 1864 founded Porterville.
Location: Porterville Public Park, SW corner of N Main St and W Henderson Ave NO. 648 FOUNTAIN SPRINGS - The settlement of Fountain Springs was established before 1855, 1-1/2 miles northwest of this point, at the junction of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the road to the Kern River gold mines. From 1858 to 1861, Fountain Springs was a station on the Butterfield Overland Mail route.
Location: SW corner of County Rds J22 and M 109 (old Springville stage rte), Fountain Springs NO. 934 TEMPORARY DETENTION CAMPS FOR JAPANESE AMERICANS-TULARE ASSEMBLY CENTER - The temporary detention camps (also known as 'assembly centers') represent the first phase of the mass incarceration of 97,785 Californians of Japanese ancestry during World War II. Pursuant to Executive Order 9066 signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on February 19, 1942, thirteen makeshift detention facilities were constructed at various California racetracks, fairgrounds, and labor camps. These facilities were intended to confine Japanese Americans until more permanent concentration camps, such as those at Manzanar and Tule Lake in California, could be built in isolated areas of the country. Beginning on March 30, 1942, all native-born Americans and long-time legal residents of Japanese ancestry living in California were ordered to surrender themselves for detention.
Location: Tulare County Fairgrounds, Tulare
See Also: Statewide Historical Landmarks listed by County
| CERES: Tulare County
| CERES Home | LUPIN
| Webmaster |
This file last modified on: Friday, October 15, 2004.
Document URL: http://ceres.ca.gov/geo_area/counties/Tulare/landmarks.html
Copyright © 1996 California Resources Agency. All rights reserved.