California State Historical Landmarks in Solano County
Properties of historical importance in California are currently designated as significant resources in three state registration programs: State Historical Landmarks, Points of Historical Interest, and the California Register of Historic Places. Below is a list of the State Historical Landmarks for Solano County. This data is provided by the Office of Historic Preservation - California Department of Parks and Recreation and is also available in the California Historical Landmarks Book.
NO. 153 BENICIA CAPITOL - Erected in 1852, ostensibly as Benicia's City Hall, this historic building was one of the four locations of the 'Capitol on Wheels,' from February 4, 1853 to February 25, 1854. It was deeded to the State in 1951.
Location: NW corner of 1st and G Sts, Benicia NO. 174 FIRST BUILDING ERECTED IN CALIFORNIA BY MASONIC LODGE FOR USE AS A HALL - The first Masonic hall built in California was begun in the summer of 1850, occupied by the lodge October 14, 1850, and formally dedicated December 27, 1850. This building served as the Masonic Temple for Benicia Lodge No. 5 until 1888, when the new temple was occupied. Used by a boys' club prior to World War I and by the American Legion shortly after the war, it was reacquired by Benicia Lodge No. 5 in 1950.
Location: 110 W J St, Benicia NO. 175 SITE OF FIRST PROTESTANT CHURCH - On April 15, 1849, the Reverend Sylvester Woodbridge, Jr., organized the first Presbyterian Church of Benicia, the first Protestant church established in California with an ordained resident pastor. The church was disbanded in 1875.
Location: Benicia City Park, K St between 1st and 2nd Sts, Benicia NO. 176 BENICIA ARSENAL - Captain Charles P. Stone, with 21 enlisted men, established Benicia Arsenal as an ordnance depot in August 1851. The first building, a small wooden powder magazine, was erected in September 1851. Between 1853 and 1863, Congress authorized $550,000 to be spent on the establishment, and some 15 stone and frame buildings were constructed. The arsenal was first called 'California Ordnance Depot,' then 'Benicia Arsenal Depot,' and finally, in the spring of 1852, 'Benicia Arsenal.' It played an important role in crises such as the Indian wars. Some of its original buildings are in use today. Descendants of the men who established Benicia Arsenal are still living in Benicia and other parts of California.
Location: Main gate of port area, intersection of Adams and Jefferson Sts, Benicia
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-76000534 NO. 177 SITE OF FORMER BENICIA BARRACKS - Benicia Barracks, established on April 30, 1849 and organized by Brevet Lt. Col. Silas Casey, 2nd U.S. Infantry, was the U.S. Army headquarters for the Department of the Pacific from 1851-1857. Also known as the 'Post near Benicia,' it remained a garrison installation until 1898. The post hospital, built in 1856, is the only remaining structure associated with the original Barracks. The Barracks became part of the Benicia Arsenal, which closed in 1964.
Location: Francesca Terrace Park, across from the Benicia National Guard Armory, 711 Hillcrest Ave, Benicia NO. 534 VACA-PEÑA ADOBE - This is the site of the 10-square-league Rancho Los Putos that Governor Pío Pico granted to Juan Felipe Peña and Manuel Cabeza Vaca in 1845. The Peña Adobe, erected here in 1843, is still owned by the descendants of their families (1955). The nearby town of Vacaville was established in 1851 on land that Vaca sold to William McDaniel.
Location: Take Pena Adobe Rd interchange on I-80, go NE 0.5 mi on Pena Adobe Rd to Pena Adobe Park, Vacaville NO. 574 SITE OF STATE CAPITOL AT VALLEJO - Vallejo was the official seat of State government from February 4, 1851 to February 4, 1853.
Location: Located in NW corner of city parking lot, 200 block of York St, between Sacramento and Santa Clara Sts, NO. 751 FIRST U.S. NAVAL STATION IN THE PACIFIC - Mare Island Navy Yard was established September 16, 1854 by Commander David G. Farragut, U.S.N., on a site selected in 1852 by a commission headed by Commodore John D. Sloat, U.S.N. Mare Island had the Navy's first shipyard, ammunition depot, hospital, Marine barracks, cemetery, chapel, and radio station in the Pacific.
Location: Entrance to Mare island Naval Shipyard, main gate, SW corner of Tennessee St and Mare Island Way, Vallejo NO. 779 ROCKVILLE STONE CHAPEL - The cornerstone of this chapel, erected by pioneers of Methodist Episcopal Church South with volunteer labor and donated funds, was laid October 3, 1856 on a site supplied by Landy and Sarah Alford, and the chapel was dedicated February 1857. By 1929, the chapel had deteriorated and the church deeded it to Rockville Public Cemetery District as a pioneer monument. It was restored in 1940.
Location: Rockville Cemetery, Suisun Valley Rd, 0.2 mi N of Rockville
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: FAIRFIELD NO. 795 BENICIA SEMINARY - Founded in 1852 as the Young Ladies' Seminary of Benicia, Mills College was acquired from Mary Atkins by Cyrus and Susan Mills in 1865 and moved to its present site in Oakland in 1871. It was chartered as a college by the State of California in 1885.
Location: City park, Military W St between 1st and 2nd Sts, Benicia NO. 862 SAINT PAUL'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH - Designed in 1859 by Lt. Julian McAllister and built by shipwrights of the Pacific Mail and Steamship Company, St. Paul's is an outstanding example of early California Gothic ecclesiastical architecture. Notable for its fine craftsmanship, this building has continuously served the Episcopal Church since its consecration by the Rt. Rev. William Ingraham Kip in 1860.
Location: 120 E J St at 1st St, Benicia
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: CHESTER 15 NO. 880 FISCHER-HANLON HOUSE - In 1849, Joseph Fisher, a Swiss immigrant, came to Benicia. After joining a butcher partnership, Fischer purchased this lot on July 1, 1858 and moved the house, reputed to be an old hotel, onto it. The building, an outstanding example of East Coast Federalist styling, illustrates architectural diffusion during the Gold Rush.
Location: 135 W G St, Benicia
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: BENICIA NO. 973 TURNER/ROBERTSON SHIPYARD, 1883-1918 - In 1882, Matthew Turner of San Francisco relocated his shipyard to Benicia. Turner, the most prodigious shipbuilder in North America, constructed 228 vessels, 169 of which were launched here. In 1913, the shipyard was purchased by James Robertson, who operated it until 1918. The yard sways, and the Whaler Stamboul, used as a shipyard work platform, are visible at low tide.
Location: Matthew Turner Shipyard Park, foot of W 12th St off of W K St, Benicia
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: BENICIA
See Also: Statewide Historical Landmarks listed by County
| CERES: Solano County
| CERES Home | LUPIN
| Webmaster |
This file last modified on: Friday, October 15, 2004.
Document URL: http://ceres.ca.gov/geo_area/counties/Solano/landmarks.html
Copyright © 1996 California Resources Agency. All rights reserved.