California State Historical Landmarks in San Luis Obispo County
Properties of historical importance in California are currently designated as significant resources in three state registration programs: State Historical Landmarks, Points of Historical Interest, and the California Register of Historic Places. Below is a list of the State Historical Landmarks for San Luis Obispo County. This data is provided by the Office of Historic Preservation - California Department of Parks and Recreation and is also available in the California Historical Landmarks Book.
NO. 325 MISSION SAN LUÍS OBISPO DE TOLOSA - Founded by Fray Junípero Serra, OFM, first president of the California missions, Mission San Luís Obispo was the fifth in a chain of 21 missions stretching from San Diego to Sonoma. Built by the Chumash Indians living in the area, its combination of belfry and vestibule is unique among California missions. In 1846 John C. Frémont and his California Battalion quartered here while engaged in the war with Mexico.
Location: Monterey between Chorro and Broad Sts, San Luis Obispo NO. 326 MISSION SAN MIGUEL ARCÁNGEL - This site was selected because of the great number of Salinan Indians that lived in the vicinity. Fray Fermín Francisco de Lasuén, OFM, second president of the California missions, founded San Miguel Arcángel on July 25, 1797. The 16th in a chain of 21 Franciscan missions, it influenced not only the native population, but the history of California as a whole.
Location: SW corner of Mission St and San Luis Obispo Rd, San Miguel
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: SAN MIGUEL NO. 364 SANTA MARGARITA ASISTENCIA (SITE OF) - This asistencia served as an outpost or chapel and storehouse for Mission San Luís Obispo. Here the mission padres and the Indians carried on extensive grain cultivation.
Location: Rancho Santa Margarita Hay Barn (private property, no trespassing), 1/4 mi N of intersection of Yerba Buena Ave and F St, Santa Margarita NO. 542 ESTRELLA ADOBE CHURCH - This was the first Protestant church to be erected in the northern part of San Luis Obispo County. Construction was completed in 1878, restoration was completed in 1952.
Location: On Airport Rd, 2.5 mi N of State Hwy 46, Paso Robles
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: PASO ROBLES NO. 6405 HEARST SAN SIMEON STATE HISTORICAL MONUMENT - Here on the historic Piedra Blanca Rancho, between 1919 and 1947, William Randolph Hearst created La Cuesta Encantada (The Enchanted Hill), including La Casa Grande and adjacent buildings with their rare art treasures and beautiful gardens. The Hearst Corporation presented it to the State of California in 1958 as a memorial to William Randolph Hearst, donated in the name of his mother, Phoebe Apperson Hearst.
Location: Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument, plaque located in entrance rest area, State Hwy 1, San Simeon
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: SAN SIMEON NO. 720 DALLIDET ADOBE - This was the home of Pierre Hyppolite Dallidet, a native of France, who settled in San Luis Obispo in 1853 and became a vineyardist. His son, Paul Dallidet, gave it to the San Luis Obispo County Historical Society in 1953, in memory of the Dallidet family that had occupied it for a century.
Location: 1309 Toro at Pacific, San Luis Obispo NO. 726 THE SEBASTIAN STORE - This is the oldest store building along the north coast of San Luis Obispo County. Built in the 1860s at Whaling Point, one-half mile to the west, it was moved to its present location in 1878. It has been operated by the Sebastian family for over half a century.
Location: San Simeon Road, San Simeon
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: SAN SIMEON NO. 802 AH LOUIS STORE - Ah Louis' Store, established in 1874, was the first Chinese store in the county. It sold general merchandise and herbs and served as a bank, counting house, and post office for the numerous Chinese coolies who dug the eight tunnels through the Mountains of Cuesta for the Southern Pacific Railroad, 1884 to 1894.
Location: 800 Palm St at Chorro St, San Luis Obispo NO. 821 MORRO ROCK - An important mariner's navigational landfall for over three hundred years, Morro Reef was chronicled in the diaries of Portolá, Fr. Crespí, and Costanso in 1769, when they camped near this area on their trek to find Monterey. Sometimes called the 'Gibraltar of the Pacific,' it is the last in the famous chain of nine peaks that starts in the City of San Luis Obispo.
Location: Located in city park, foot of Morro Rock, on Embarcadero Rd, 0.4 mi NW of Morro Bay
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: NEWBURY PARK NO. 936 RIOS-CALEDONIA ADOBE - This imposing building is an excellent example of California's Mexican-era architecture. With Indian labor, Petronilo Ríos built the two-story adobe about 1846 as his residence and the headquarters for his sheep and cattle operations. Named 'Caledonia' in the 1860s, it served as a hotel and stop on the stage route between Los Angeles and San Francisco until 1886. Restoration was begun in 1968 by the Friends of the Adobes.
Location: 700 Mission St, San Miguel
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: SAN MIGUEL NO. 939 Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments (Thematic) -NITT WITT RIDGE - Nitt Witt Ridge, one of California's remarkable Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments, is the creation of Arthur Harold Beal (der Tinkerpaw or Capt. Nitt Witt), a Cambria Pines pioneer, who sculpted the land using hand tools and indigenous materials, remarkable inventiveness, and self-taught skills. A blend of native materials and contemporary elements, impressive in its sheer mass and meticulous placement, it is a revealing memorial to Art's unique cosmic humor and zest for life.
Location: Nitt Witt Ridge, 881 Hillcrest Dr, Cambria Pines NO. 958 ADMINISTRATION AND VETERAN'S MEMORIAL BUILDING - This building, dedicated in 1914 and completed in 1918, was the headquarters for the Atascadero Colony, a model community envisioned by Edward G. Lewis. Designed by Walter D. Bliss of San Francisco and built of reinforced concrete and locally produced brick, it had also served as a private school for boys, a veteran's memorial building, and county offices. It is currently the seat of municipal government.
Location: 6500 Palma Ave, Atascadero
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: ATASCADERO
See Also: Statewide Historical Landmarks listed by County
| CERES: San Luis Obispo County
| CERES Home | LUPIN
| Webmaster |
This file last modified on: Friday, October 15, 2004.
Document URL: http://ceres.ca.gov/geo_area/counties/San_Luis_Obispo/landmarks.html
Copyright © 1996 California Resources Agency. All rights reserved.