California State Historical Landmarks in Napa County
Properties of historical importance in California are currently designated as significant resources in three state registration programs: State Historical Landmarks, Points of Historical Interest, and the California Register of Historic Places. Below is a list of the State Historical Landmarks for Napa County. This data is provided by the Office of Historic Preservation - California Department of Parks and Recreation and is also available in the California Historical Landmarks Book.
NO. 359 OLD BALE MILL - This historic gristmill was erected by Dr. E. T. Bale, grantee of Carne Humana Rancho, in 1846. The mill, with surrounding land, was deeded to the Native Sons of the Golden West by Mrs. W. W. Lyman, and was restored through the efforts of the Native Son Parlors of Napa County.
Location: Bale Grist Mill State Historic Park, Hwy 29 (P.M. 32.1), 3369 N St. Helena Hwy, 3 mi NW of St. Helena
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: CALISTOGA NO. 547 CHILES MILL - Joseph Ballinger Chiles, who first came to California in 1841, erected the mill on Rancho Catacula 1845-56. The first American flour mill in Northern California, it was still in use in the 1880s. Chiles served as a vice president of the Society of California Pioneers, 1850-53.
Location: SW corner on hillside, Chiles and Pope Rd and Lower Chiles Valley Rd, 3.6 mi N on Hwy 128, Chiles Valley
NO. 563 CHARLES KRUG WINERY - Founded in 1861 by Charles Krug (1825-1892), this is the oldest operating winery in Napa Valley. The pioneer winemaker of this world-famous region, Krug made the first commercial wine in Napa County at Napa in 1858.
Location: Krug Ranch, 2800 Main St, St. Helena NO. 564 GEORGE YOUNT BLOCKHOUSE - In this vicinity stood the log block-house constructed in 1836 by George Calvert Yount, pioneer settler in Napa County. Nearby was his adobe house, built in 1837, and across the bridge were his grist and saw mills, erected before 1845. Born in North Carolina in 1794, Yount was a trapper, rancher, and miller, he became grantee of the Rancho Caymus and La Jota. He died at Yountville in 1865.
Location: NE corner of Cook Rd and Yount Mill Rd, 1 mi N of Yountville
NO. 682 SITE OF YORK'S CABIN, CALISTOGA - Among the first houses in this area was John York's log cabin, constructed in October 1845. Rebuilt as part of the home of the Kortum family, it was used as a residence until razed in 1930. Nearby was the cabin of David Hudson, also built in October 1845. Calistoga was named by Samuel Brannan.
Location: SW corner Hwy 29 (Foothill Blvd) and Lincoln Ave, Calistoga NO. 683 SITE OF HUDSON CABIN, CALISTOGA - David Hudson was one of the early pioneers who helped develop the upper portion of Napa Valley by purchasing land, clearing it, and planting crops and building homes. Hudson built his cabin in October 1845.
Location: NE corner of Hwy 29 (Foothill Blvd) and Lincoln Ave, Calistoga NO. 684 SAM BRANNAN STORE, CALISTOGA - Sam Brannan arrived in Napa Valley in the late 1850s and purchased a square mile of land at the foot of Mount St. Helena. This is the store he built, in which he made $50,000 in one year.
Location: NW corner of Wapoo Ave and Grant St, 203 Wapoo Ave, Calistoga NO. 685 SAM BRANNAN COTTAGE, CALISTOGA - Sam Brannan arrived in Napa Valley in the late 1850s with the dream of making it the 'Saratoga of California.' In 1866 cottages were built and palm trees planted in preparation for the grand opening of the resort. This is the only cottage still standing.
Location: 1311 Washington St, Calistoga NO. 686 SITE OF KELSEY HOUSE, CALISTOGA - Nancy Kelsey arrived in California in 1841 with the Bidwell-Bartleson party and settled with her family south of present-day Calistoga. Now the hearthstone is all that can be seen of the house. The property is owned by the Rockstrohs.
Location: 500 ft NW of intersection of State Hwy 29 and Diamond Mtn Rd, 1.1 mi S of Calistoga NO. 687 NAPA VALLEY RAILROAD DEPOT, CALISTOGA - The Napa Valley Railroad depot, now the Southern Pacific depot, was built in 1868. Its roundhouse across Lincoln Avenue is gone. On its first trip, this railroad brought people to Calistoga for the elaborate opening of Brannan's summer resort in October 1868.
Location: 1458 Lincoln Ave, Calistoga NO. 693 GRAVE OF GEORGE C. YOUNT - George Calvert Yount (1794-1865) was the first United States citizen to be ceded a Spanish land grant in Napa Valley (1836). Skilled hunter, frontiersman, craftsman, and farmer, he was the true embodiment of all the finest qualities of an advancing civilization blending with the existing primitive culture. Friend to all, this kindly host of Caymus Rancho encouraged sturdy American pioneers to establish ranches in this area, so it was well populated before the gold rush.
Location: George C. Yount Pioneer Cemetery, Lincoln and Jackson Sts, Yountville NO. 710 ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON STATE PARK - In the spring of 1880, Robert Louis Stevenson brought his bride to Silverado. He and Fannie Osbourne Stevenson lived here from May 19 until July, while he gathered the notes for Silverado Squatters.
Location: Hwy 29 (P.M. 45.5), 75 mi NE of Calistoga NO. 814 BERINGER BROTHERS WINERY - Built by Frederick and Jacob Beringer, natives of Mainz, Germany, this winery has the unique distinction of never having ceased operations since its founding in 1876. Here, in the European tradition, were dug underground wine tunnels hundreds of feet in length. These maintain a constant temperature of 58 degrees, a factor considered necessary in the maturing and aging of fine wines.
Location: 2000 Main St, St. Helena NO. 828 VETERANS HOME OF CALIFORNIA - This home for California's aged and disabled veterans was established in 1884 by Mexican War veterans and members of the Grand Army of the Republic. In January 1897 the Veterans Home Association deeded the home and its 910 acres of land to the State, which has since maintained it.
Location: SW corner of California Dr and Hwy 29, Yountville NO. 878 FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH BUILDING - Designed by pioneer architects R. H. Daley and Theodore Eisen, this church is an outstanding example of late Victorian Gothic architectural styling. It is the best surviving example in this region of the early works associated with Eisen, who later became an important Southern California architect. The church has been in continuous use since its construction in 1874, longest pastorates were those of Richard Wylie and Erwin Bollinger.
Location: 1333-3rd St between Randolph and Franklin Sts, Napa NO. 939 Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments (Thematic) -LITTO - This is one of California's exceptional Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments. Over a period of 30 years, Emanuele 'Litto' Damonte (1896-1985), with the help of his neighbors, collected more than 2,000 hubcaps. All around Hubcap Ranch are constructions and arrangements of hubcaps, bottles, and pulltops which proclaim that 'Litto, the Pope Valley Hubcap King,' was here.
Location: 6654 Pope Valley Rd (P.M. 14.3), 2.1 mi NW of Pope Valley
See Also: Statewide Historical Landmarks listed by County
| CERES: Napa County
| CERES Home | LUPIN
| Webmaster |
This file last modified on: Thursday, May 18, 2006.
Document URL: http://ceres.ca.gov/geo_area/counties/Napa/landmarks.html
Copyright © 1996 California Resources Agency. All rights reserved.