California State Historical Landmarks in Marin County
Properties of historical importance in California are currently designated as significant resources in three state registration programs: State Historical Landmarks, Points of Historical Interest, and the California Register of Historic Places. Below is a list of the State Historical Landmarks for Marin County. This data is provided by the Office of Historic Preservation - California Department of Parks and Recreation and is also available in the California Historical Landmarks Book.
NO. 207 FIRST SAWMILL IN MARIN COUNTY - This mill was erected by John Reed about 1833-34 on Rancho Corte Madera del Presidio- 'the wood cutting place for the Presidio'-present-day Mill Valley. Reed built the first house in Sausalito and the first ferryboat to ply San Francisco Bay.
Location: Old Mill Park, Throckmorton and Cascade Dr, Mill Valley, plaque located at NW corner of Blithedale Ave and Tower Dr NO. 210 OLDEST HOUSE NORTH OF SAN FRANCISCO BAY - This house was built in 1776 by the father of Camillo Ynitia or Unitia, the last chief of the Olompali Indians. The Indians were taught to make adobe bricks by Lieutenant Bodega and his party while they were surveying and charting the harbor of San Francisco Bay. The old adobe house is inside the house now on the site. (Burned in 1976.)
Location: Olompali State Historic Park, 8901 Redwood Hwy, State Hwy 101 (P.M. 24.8), 3.5 mi N of Novato
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: NOVATO NO. 220 MISSION SAN RAFAEL ARCÁNGEL - The San Rafael Arcángel Mission, 20th in the chain of the 21 California missions, was established in 1817 by the Franciscan Order. After the 'decree of secularization' in 1834, the buildings gradually fell into ruin. The mission was reconstructed on the original site in 1949.
Location: 5th Ave and A St, San Rafael, plaque is at NE corner Merrydale and Southbound 101, San Pedro Rd offramp NO. 221 SITE OF THE LIGHTER WHARF AT BOLINAS - This wharf was built in the early 1850s to load lumber on lighters to be floated out to the deeper water near the channel, where it was transferred to seagoing vessels for shipment to San Francisco.
Location: At N end of Bolinas Lagoon at jct of State Hwy 1 (P.M. 170) and Olema-Bolinas Rd, 2 mi N of Bolinas NO. 222 LIME KILNS - Tradition is that the lime kilns were built by Russian stonemasons and worked by Indians during the Russian occupation of Sonoma County, which began in the spring of 1812. The Russians probably used the lime to whitewash their windmills, farm buildings, granaries, storehouses, and cattle yards, to tan hides, and to manufacture brick and tile.
Location: 300 ft W of State Hwy 1 (P.M. 22.1), 4.2 mi S of Olema NO. 529 ANGEL ISLAND - In 1775, the packet San Carlos, first known Spanish ship to enter San Francisco Bay, anchored in this cove. While here, the commander, Lieut. Juan Manual de Ayala, directed the first survey of the bay. This island, which Ayala named Isla de los Angeles, has been a Mexican rancho, a U.S. military post, a bay defense site, and a quarantine and immigration station.
Location: Hospital Cove, Angel Island State Park NO. 552 PIONEER PAPER MILL - The first paper mill on the Pacific Coast was built here in November 1856 by Samuel Penfield Taylor. Using water power and later steam, it was replaced in 1884 by a larger steam-powered mill nearby. This mill, closed by the depression of 1893, was destroyed by fire in 1915.
Location: 1.3 mi inside Samuel P. Taylor State Park, 18 mi W of Hwy 101 off Sir Francis Drake Blvd, County Hwy A104 (P.M. 171), Lagunitas NO. 630 ST. VINCENT'S SCHOOL FOR BOYS - In 1853, Timothy Murphy, Irish-born pioneer of Marin County, gave 317 acres of land to Archbishop Alemany for educational purposes. Here the Sisters of Charity in 1855 founded a school that, as St. Vincent's School for Boys, has been maintained and enlarged by successive archbishops of San Francisco.
Location: 0.7 mi E of Hwy 101 on St. Vincent Dr, 4 mi N of San Rafael NO. 679 HOME OF LORD CHARLES SNOWDEN FAIRFAX - The home of 'Lord' Charles Snowden Fairfax, pioneer and political leader of the 1850s, who served California as an Assemblyman (1853), Speaker of Assembly (1854), and Clerk of the State Supreme Court (1856). A descendant of Scottish barons of the Cameron Fairfax family of Virginia, Fairfax was involved in the last of California's historic political duels as host to the principals and friend of the two antagonists.
Location: Marin Town and Country Club, one block S of intersection of Pastori Ave and Belmont Ave, Fairfax NO. 917 GREEN BRAE BRICK KILN - This brick kiln on the San Quentin Peninsula is the only surviving structure of the Remillard Brick Company, once the largest brick manufacturer on the Pacific Coast. During its 103 years of operation, its bricks were used to rebuild Ghirardelli Square, the Palace Hotel, and other San Francisco structures after the 1906 earthquake.
Location: 125 E Sir Francis Drake Blvd, Larkspur NO. 922 OUTDOOR ART CLUB - The Outdoor Art Club was designed in 1904 by Bernard Maybeck, internationally known American architect. Particularly notable for its unusual roof truss system, the building exemplifies Maybeck's creative use of natural materials. The Club, founded in 1902 by 35 Mill Valley women, is dedicated to preserving the area's natural environment.
Location: 1 W Blithedale Ave at Throckmorton, Mill Valley NO. 924 CHINA CAMP - One of the earliest, largest, and most productive Chinese fishing villages in California, China Camp was in operation by 1870. The Chinese immigrants and their descendants introduced the use of commercial netting to catch bay shrimp off Point San Pedro. The shrimp were then dried and exported to Chinese throughout the world. China Camp represents the last surviving Chinese shrimp fishing village in California.
Location: At entrance to China Camp Village, China Camp State Park, on N San Pedro Rd, 5.3 mi SE of State Hwy 101, Santa Venetia
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: CONWAY STAGE STATION NO. 999 MARIN COUNTY CIVIC CENTER - The Civic Center Complex was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959) near the end of his long career. The administration Building was completed in 1962 and the Hall of Justice in 1970. They are the only government buildings designed by the distinguished architect that were ever actually constructed. The project fully embodied Wright's ideal of organic architecture-a synthesis of buildings and landscape. In Wright's words, the structures were planned to 'melt into the sunburnt hills.'
Location: Civic Center, San Rafael (plaque in storage, 3rd floor, County Counsel's Office)
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-91002055
See Also: Statewide Historical Landmarks listed by County
| CERES: Marin County
| CERES Home | LUPIN
| Webmaster |
This file last modified on: Friday, October 15, 2004.
Document URL: http://ceres.ca.gov/geo_area/counties/Marin/landmarks.html
Copyright © 1996 California Resources Agency. All rights reserved.