What is Biodiversity?
"A definition of biodiversity that is altogether simple, comprehensive, and fully
operational ... is unlikely to be found."(Noss, 1990) Listed below are several different definitions
used by resource managers and ecologists. Together, they should allow you to develop an
understanding of the broad concept of biodiversity.
- U.S. Congress Office of Technology Assessment, "Technologies to Maintain Biological
- Jones and Stokes Associates "Sliding
Toward Extinction: The State of California's Natural Heritage", 1987
- D.B. Jensen, M. Torn, and J. Harte, "In Our
Own Hands: A Strategy for Conserving Biological Diversity in California", 1990.
- Keystone Center, "Final Consensus Report of the
Keystone Policy Dialogue on Biological Diversity on Federal Lands", 1991.
- World Resources Institute, World Conservation Union, and United Nations Environment
Programme, "Global Biodiversity
- Edward Grumbine, "Ghost Bears:
Exploring the Biodiversity Crisis", 1993
- Reed Noss, "Indicators for Monitoring
Biodiversity: A Hierarchial Approach", Conservation Biology 4(4):355-364. 1990.
Natural Resources |
California's Biodiversity |